Sunday, June 18, 2023

Chapter 7.5 - December 2022: part V - A stormy night


Audrey Horne – The Open Sea

Hold your head under water
As you reach across the sky
Tell your friends not to worry
No one's gonna die
But it's all I have to give...

Down below underneath us
The endless & the cold
Wrap your arms round your loved ones
And pray that morning comes
Cause it's all that you can give
All out of time
We pray this is finally over
All out of time

There's no grace in these waters
No hope, no hand of God

All out of time
We pray this is finally over
All out of time

You're the only one for me
Everything I need



Hold your head under water
As you reach across the sky
Tell your friends not to worry
Noone's gonna die

All out of time
We pray this is finally over

Nityas notes:



Just the last day have been pretty surreal. I mean, it's less than.. it was just yesterday evening when I braved the rain with dad to take part in the demonstration by the town hall, and now.. we're all at the hospital eating lunch, and he's in there, asleep and recovering from a stroke that could have.. ended pretty badly. I'm... I still don't know how I feel, but right now it's good to have mom nearby. And my brother too, of course.
    The doctors are good here, I think, and dad was his usual self, in a good mood and cracking jokes at this situation. Even my brothers wife came to see my father, and maybe she's not so bad. Well, my brother has always been different, so I guess it's not so strange that he would go against everyone else and choose a woman from the more bourgeoisie part of town...



I guess you could say I'm a little surprised my parents didn't speak out against it, but at the same time they have always valued giving us all the freedom choose to live life on our own terms, so in a way it makes sense, too.... but yeah, imagine he would go there and choose a capitalist for a wife! But yeah, she seems friendly enough, so maybe she's not so bad...



Cafeteria radio in the background: ...weather warning for Boatsval, Ashill and Yellin counties has been upgraded from yellow to orange level.. gusty winds and heavy rainfall... risk of flooding, difficult driving conditions and closed roads... local authorities have adviced people in coastal communities to stay indoors and restrict travel..



Sofia: Uhmm... that doctor...
Palash: Hm?
Sofia: Don't you think there was something strange about her?
Palash: No.. what do you mean?
Sofia: Didn't you notice?
Palash: Huh...?
Sofia: The way she looked at you, and how nice she acted towards you?




Palash: Sofia.. she's a doctor, she's probably just doing her job...
Sofia: Yeah, but you must have noticed? How she greeted you at first down in the hallway? The dirty looks she gave me? Didn't you notice?
Palash: Sofia... what..? What's this? What's going on?




Sofia: And then right before she walked into the elevator!
Palash: What?
Sofia: She threatened me that something terrible would happen!
Palash: I don't understand... are you sure that..? Did she do..?
Sofia: Yeah, and she meant the stom... she meant the baby..




Palash: The baby, Sofia? But she can't possibly know...




Laranya: The baby...? What are you talking about...? Are you...? Are you expecting...?
Sofia: Yes, yes, but.. the doctor...




Laranya: Oh, but that's great news! Congratulations!
Sofia: Yes, yes, but the doctor said...
Laranya: Imagine, I'm going to be a grandmother - again! How long... may I ask, when is your due date?
Sofia: Uh, I don't know.. haven't gotten it yet.. but umm...
Laranya: Oh, I'm sorry.. but how exciting! Did you think about a name?




Sofia: Yes, uh, no, we haven't umm...
Laranya: I understand, but oh my, this is so exciting! You're more than welcome to come over for a cup     of tea one day!
Sofia: Oh, I would.. love to, but, umm, that doc..
Laranya: Oh, I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about! I still remember when Palash was only the size of my     hands! I still have his old rompers with the teddy bears on them!
Palash: Mom...




Laranya: We need to go out shopping for clothes! And you'll need a stroller? Do you have a changing table?
Palash: Mom...
Laranya: Sorry, I got a little carried away! It's not every day I get to hear that I'll be a grandma.. and it feels good to get some good news now when... but Sofia, please do stop by for a cup of tea..
Sofia: I would.. I would love to, when is...?




Laranya: Oh, just stop by any time! The door is always open at... at our place!

********


Palashs notes:



I was a little confused, I don't know what happened to Sofia today. I'm.. guessing its the pregnancy that makes her this anxious, but.. it's totally unlike her to get these.. paranoid thoughts? I don't know if this is normal? For a pregnant woman?



I didn't really know how to deal with it, and we ended up in an argument after we got back home.. She wouldn't really.. I have never seen her like this before, she was really hard to reason with... she kept insisting that the doctor at the hospital had threatened to harm her baby.. then she locked herself inside the bathroom and refused to talk to me.. I don't know what to do...



I schmoogled the web for answers and help.. are we gonna need couples therapy already? I don't think this is how it's supposed to be, and I'm honestly getting a little scared...



The mornings heavy snowfall had turned to rain and I heard it slamming against our front door as if it was knocking and wanted in... for a moment there I felt really small myself, as if darkness itself had rose up from the sea to engulf our house and our tiny island community...



Yumi was acting strange too, as she had crawled in under one of the chairs yelping loudly for each passing wind gust, and she wouldn't come out when I called for her..



I went back to the bathroom door, told her I loved her and that I only wanted to help.. that I would talk to the other doctors at the hospital about her concerns.. she said she didn't want to go near that doctor again.. I couldn't make that promise, but I would be there with her all the time of course, so the doctor wouldn't get a chance to try anything..
Eventually she came out of the bathroom and apologized for her behaviour, her head was hanging low and she looked really ashamed..



I could feel her concern when we hugged, though I still thought that.. well, she didn't have any cause for worry.. I thought it best not to say that anymore, and instead just.. be there for her, and it would probably pass eventually, once she got to see that the doctors actually were all good..



I listened to the wind and held around her until she fell asleep, while I thought about the possibility of her being right, and that the doctor actually was out to harm her in some way, but I just couldn't make it add up.. I couldn't make sense of what could possibly motivate a doctor at a hospital to say or do such a thing. In every scenario I could think of, I just ended up with the same conclusion..
As much as I would want to support Sofia in anything (and I would), there was no doubt here, that she had to be wrong...



It was a dark and stormy night.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13.2 - December 2023: part III – Christmas Magic With You (continued).

 She had thought this moment through several times in her head, though this wasn't quite what she had imagined... they were outside, it ...